Tuesday, December 3, 2013

NYCM - 2013 Race-Day Recap

NYCM 11/03/2013 4:51

Race Day Selfie
After a grueling 2012 of my personal worsts at NYRR races (9+1), I set a marathon PR for myself in NYC!

Spending 6 weeks training to bust my half PR in Brooklyn was an epic fail. After that I completely lost my running mo-jo the rest of the year. Running is 50/50 perspiration and motivation. You can't deal with one if you don't have the other.

2013 was a year of new beginnings and I've hit PRs in every distance - 5K, 10K, 10 miles, 1/2 and full! Thanks go to SRR and the New England running community, which doesn't fool around when it comes to running.

These pictures should give you an idea of how many people (50,000+) were at the NYCM. If you're starting in the last corral, this is not a race to attempt a full-on PR, unless of course, you're as skilled at dodging and darting, as this guy is juggling (1st pic). Way too many people are not running in the back. There's a lot of walkers and photo stops along the way - I don't blame them, this is a great run when it comes to spectators. Brooklyn - you rocked! Manhattan was awesome too but by then, I was ready to be done running.

Unfortunately I seemed to have forgotten there would be 50,000+ other people until about mile 11 when I realized I wasn't hitting any of my miles at race pace. No worries, there is always 2014, and I still beat my old NYCM time by almost an hour.













No comments:

Post a Comment