Friday, October 8, 2010

Volunteering

From the Queen Bee of volunteerism, a report from the frontlines.

Last Saturday instead of running in the Lake Spivey 15K, I volunteered as a course monitor. In races, volunteers are key! Especially in a small neighborhood race like this, where everybody was spread out, making sure people didn't take a wrong turn in the twists and turns through all the subdivisions was pretty important.

It was fun watching the 'front of the pack' runners coming through. #1 was so far ahead, nobody trailed him for awhile. #7 was a woman with a stroller - always fun to see, probably less fun if you're being passed by.

I am signed up to help out at the Expo and starting aid station during the Thanksgiving half. Mostly for the fleece and sweatshirt, but whatever gets you out there. It's a good place to talk to other runners and should help with distracting me from any pre-race jitters. I always get anxiety before running - which shows I care I guess.

Goals for the weekend: Run 19 miles Saturday!!

Having such a busy schedule equals being very tired always and finding it hard to fit in a lot of runs... so I may potentially scale back to half-marathons for awhile... but you just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment